Apply for an international driving license for the USA at a driving school or automobile club
If you don’t have time to drive, you can enrol in a reputable driving school or auto club. In this situation, the club or school will handle all of the paperwork.
Waiting periods will remain quite short, ranging from 7 to 10 days. The entire cost of the surgery, however, will be greater. A competitive offer typically ranges from €70 to €120. If you prefer this option, you must do the following:
- Compare the offerings of various schools and groups. Because this is a more expensive alternative, you should compare rates from several schools or clubs. As a result, you will be able to receive your US international driving licence at the most affordable price.
- fill out the paperwork requested for the driving school or car club;
- pay the school or club the two payment slips of €16.00 and €10.20, as well as the cost of the service;
- Bring the following documents with you:
- passport photograph, one of which has been authenticated;
- a valid driver’s licence;
- The tax code and the health card
Driving around Los Angeles
International driving license how to renew it
As previously stated, an international driving licence issued in accordance with the Geneva Convention is valid for one year. As a result, even if you currently have it, you may need to renew it.
The procedure is the same as when applying for an international driving licence for the first time. Again, you will have your licence in a matter of days. In reality, you will be required to:
- Fill out the renewal form, which is available at motor vehicle offices or on the motorist’s site;
- Bring the identical documents that were necessary for the granting of the foreign driving licence to the car.
- pay the same fees as for the issuance of the international driving permit You will then be required to make the two payments of €16.00 and €10.20 once more. You will also need to acquire a €16.00 revenue stamp.
- Please bring your expired international driver’s licence.
Features of the international license
Unlike the national licence, the international driving licence for the United States is presented as a standardised paper document in each country. The document is partially in Italian, but it is also available in English, French, Spanish, and Arabic. For this reason, several US jurisdictions need a verified translation of the Italian national driving licence into English.
The following information can be seen on the first page of an international driving licence:
- “International Driving Permit” phrase;
- the proprietor’s name;
- the date of release
On the remaining pages of the international driving licence, the following information about the holder appears:
- an explanation of the many types of driving permits available The vehicle driving licence, for example, corresponds to the letter B;
- Personal information about the holder: name, surname, date and place of birth, address;
- a photocopy of the holder’s passport;
- stamp the letter with the sort of driving licence awarded;
- any limitations that apply to the permit
Other documents required to travel to the USA
In most circumstances, an overseas licence is insufficient to drive in the United States. Even when driving in the United States with an Italian licence, additional documentation is necessary. As a result, let us explain the papers indicated in the table above:
- ESTA or short-term visa: If you are an Italian citizen coming to the United States for tourism, you will most likely need an ESTA. In actuality, an ESTA enables you to stay in the US for up to 90 days and may be obtained online. If you have any questions about applying for an ESTA, please see the link page. If you do not fulfil the eligibility conditions for ESTA, you will need a short-stay visa. This might be a category B tourist visa, for example. All information on the American visa may be found here.
- biometric passport that is valid for at least the period of the visa
We recommend reading the page on the paperwork needed to go to the United States for more details.