1. IS CHILE ONE OF THE VWP COUNTRIES?
An ESTA can only be used by citizens of the VWP countries. Chile is included in the VWP. Therefore, all citizens of Chile can use a US ESTA instead of a Visa when visiting the USA for eligible trips.
2. CAN CITIZENS OF CHILE TRAVEL TO THE USA WITH ESTA?
Citizens of Chile are eligible for an ESTA when travelling to the USA for certain trips and do not need to obtain a Visa.
However, an ESTA can only be used as travel authorization if the traveller does not plan to stay in the USA for longer than 90 days, and if the purpose of the visit is travel, business or transit.
3. DO CHILEAN CITIZENS NEED A VISA FOR THE USA?
Even though Chilean citizens can travel on an ESTA, if they or their trip is not eligible then they will need a visa instead.
ESTA requirements for Chilean citizens are the same as for all other nationals travelling on an ESTA:
- Your trip is less than 90 days
- You are travelling for business, travel or transit
- You have not previously overstayed a visa or ESTA in the USA
- You don’t have a criminal record
- You have no associations with Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Libya, Yemen or North Korea
- You don’t have a communicable disease
If you don’t fulfil all of these categories, you will be required to apply for a visa instead of an ESTA.
4. WHAT ARE THE CHILEAN PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS WHEN APPLYING FOR ESTA FROM CHILE?
When travelling on an ESTA in the visa waiver program from Chile, your passport must be valid for the duration of your travels. Your ESTA will expire when your passport expires so make sure you have plenty of time left.
Your passport also needs to be an e-passport with a digital chip. If you don’t have an e-passport then you will need to apply for a visa instead.
5. HOW LONG IS AN ESTA VALID?
From the moment of approval, each ESTA is valid for two years. You can always check the validity of your ESTA using this simple online form.
The validity of your ESTA is also influenced by your passport validity. If your passport expires within the two year ESTA validly period, it too will expire.
At this moment you will have to obtain a new passport and then apply for a new ESTA using the ESTA application form online.