1. SHOULD ALL CITIZENS OF AUSTRIA APPLY FOR ESTA IN ORDER TO TRAVEL TO THE USA?
Yes. All citizens of Austria planning to visit the USA are obligated to apply for ESTA, if they also meet such criteria as:
- The travel period is less than 90 days
- The aim of travel is business or leisure, or transit, as well as, it must be done through air or sea.
2. WHAT DOES THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM IMPLY?
VWP (short for Visa Waiver Program) permits a certain number of countries’ citizens to travel to the US (including in-transit travel) without requiring a Visa.
If you wish to find out more on the matter, then read more about VWP here.
3. HOW LONG DOES AN ESTA APPROVAL LAST?
ESTA is legitimate for no longer than two years from the date of approval, therefore the ESTA holder can travel to the USA in two years’ time.
However, the one exception to the validity of the ESTA approval is if the ESTA holder’s passport expires in less than two years. If this is your case, your ESTA will expiry together with your passport. Once you get a new passport you will also have to re-apply for a new ESTA.
4. SHOULD YOU APPLY FOR AN ESTA IF YOU HAVE OBTAINED A VISA?
No. If you already possess a Visa, which is still valid, then applying for an ESTA approval is not necessary.
Applying for ESTA is only necessary for those citizens of Austria who:
- Plan their visit in the USA to be 90 days or less.
- The reason of travel is business, leisure or transit, but not to employ oneself or study.
- Are traveling by air or sea.
- Have a legitimate e-passport.
- Do not have a valid Visa to travel to the USA.
Important Note: If your passport has been stolen or you have lost it, then later retrieved it, do not use this passport and its data to apply for an ESTA. You will be denied.
5. WHY IS EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION REQUIRED ON MY ESTA APPLICATION?
Employment information is mandatory to be shown due to the fact that it shows you are already employed and are not planning to be hired in the USA or become an immigrant into the USA.
Section 214b of the Immigration and Nationality Act of the United States of America requires all travelers to make it apparent that it is not their intention to become an immigrant and become a long-term resident in the USA.
6. HOW TO RENEW YOUR ESTA IF IT HAS EXPIRED?
The process of renewing you ESTA once it has expired is easy. You may renew it using this online form.
However, note that you cannot extend your existing ESTA approval; instead, you must renew or reapply for a new ESTA.
It is not needed to wait for the expiry date of your current ESTA in order to renew it or reapply for it. You can renew your ESTA at any time you wish in order to get a later expiration date.
If the below circumstances meet your case, you must reapply for a new ESTA, and not wait for the expiration date:
- Receiving a new passport;
- Legally changing your name or gender;
- You change your Austrian citizenship, or you gain second citizenship in another country.